Sunday, April 26, 2015

Visiting with friends and lots of quilting

Yesterday afternoon my friends Sandi and Donna arrived for a visit, while on their way home from Paducah . They are officially the first guests in the new house. We popped into the local quilt shop, and then went to Jim's Smokin' Que for a gut busting feast of ribs, slaw, beans and peanut butter pie. Yum! There were enough ribs left for Tim and I to have them for dinner tonight. Then it will be back to the plant based diet tomorrow.
We girls played a couple of games of Farkle and watched the movie, Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? before turning in for the night. This morning, they packed and went on their way to Florida. It was a short visit, but a fun one. Thanks, girls! Come back again!
Donna, me and Sandi
Tim started gardening as soon as the girls hit the road and was at it until 6 PM!
First, he sealed the back walk pavers
Tim planted the hosta and lilies we got at the plant sale yesterday
Almost all the planting is done. Unfortunately, he ran out of mulch.
I didn't garden...I quilted!
First, I fooled around with some kid print fat quarters and made giant half square triangles. The design wall got a workout while I moved them around until I decided on a zig-zag layout. I sewed them together, quilted big swirls, and added a great striped binding. Looks nice!
                                     
Swirly quilting
Dancing piggies on the back
After that, I went through the UFOs on the rack and chose to work on a vintage top I got somewhere in my travels. I don't recall where this one came from, but it lis a sweet nosegay pattern. I pressed it with Best Press for stability, trimmed it square, added two borders and quilted it with Baptist Fan motifs. It will have the same blue binding as the inner border, but I just ran out of steam to finish it today. At 6:15 I turned off the lights and retired to the living room to enjoy some TV while doing the hand sewing on the two small quilts.
The vintage quilt as a flimsy
Here it is all quilted
I got a phone call from my new quilting friend, Kay, who had just gotten home from the Paducah show. She won first prize for her art quilt that we went over before she sent it off to be judged. OMG!! I am so very happy for her. The quilt is beautiful and so is Kay. It couldn't happen to a nicer lady.
Kay with her quilt. Notice the wonderful ribbon with the handmade dogwood flower. 
It has been a stellar weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.