Saturday, October 3, 2015

Rain, shop-hop, rain, quilting, RAIN!

The weatherman said it was going to rain, but we sure didn't expect this! I feel so bad that we get deluged when there is a horrible drought in the western states. Too bad we can't will the rain westward...
I had made plans to go on a shop hop with my friend, Stephanie, and certainly a torrential rainstorm couldn't  stand between a quilter and discounted fabric! So over Blood mountain we went to the city of Dahlonega, and then back over the mountain to the other two stores. The rain never abated, but we didn't care...there were 25% off bolts to fondle and prizes to be signed up for.
I have great plans for this Christmas jelly roll and these wonderful co-ordinates

(L to R) Backing for the Christmas quilt project, fun yellow cherries, dogs hanging out car windows, alphabetical foodstuffs, and a soft brushed plaid in jewel tones.

Soft, cuddly flannels from the Lumberjack collection. I am going to make some bumper pads and a quilt for my soon-to-be-born Grandson's bed.

Little cherries, plump red apples, candy stripes (they will make wonderful bindings) ,pine sprigs and chickadees...oh yes, a bag of old fashioned lemon drops. What can I say, I got hungry!

More flannel. Pups in space for charity quilts, bacon and eggs, sweet cars, and woolen mittens; the last three will be used on burp cloths for the baby.

Future backings!
I now it is out of focus, but I had to share this cute Farm market fabric, too.

There was so much rain, this dragon surfaced in the shop's garden! ha ha
After the shop hop, Stephanie and I met her husband at the local eatery for supper. One of the waitresses is a friend of theirs and brought a young lady and an elderly gentleman over to the table. It seems the man was the victim of a terrible crime and has lost everything. The woman was a social worker who had found him a place to live and is now trying to outfit his new home. The waitress knew Stephanie was a 'quilt lady' and asked her if she might have a quilt for the man. Steph said yes and after they left, we decided to come up with bedding for the man. She will be making him pillowcases, and I went through my stash of unfinished quilt tops and found a suitable one for his needs. I just needed to add another border to make it bed sized. Mr Wazoo quilted it for me and I finished it this afternoon. We'll get it to the man tomorrow. The warm feeling of helping keeps us making  quilts for people in need. (And sort of justifies those shop-hopping sprees)

I added the red border to make the quilt twin size.


I got the blocks and extra fabric at a guild yard sale years ago. I'm glad they will finally be somebody's favorite blanket!

Panto: Square Spiral, Mr Wazoo's favorite!
Meanwhile, I worked on my second show quilt and listened to the rain. Molly doesn't like to go out in the wet weather, but loves the toweling off and frolicking afterward. 
The festival we planned to attend tomorrow has been cancelled, so we will be in the studio again. More rain forecast for tomorrow.
Get out the snorkels and mud boots!!



2 comments:

  1. i am n. west Ga. and the only shop we have is in Rome

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to the Rome shop on a hop last May. It was a long drive, but any shop is worth the drive! I've not looked into the shops around your area, but always try to find whatever I can near by. I'm pretty new to Georgia, so its all an adventure for me when I go to a new shop! Google quilt shops in Georgia, and I'm sure you'll find an adventure of your own waiting to be taken. Happy quilting! Susan

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.