Friday, August 19, 2016

A great quilt makes a long workday fun!

It has been a nine hour day with a half hour lunch because I couldn't tear myself away from this magnificent quilt.
English paper pieced, all by hand!
Cotton & Steel and Kaffe Fasset fabrics
The customer worked on this for two years, fussy cutting most of the pieces to make the kaleidoscope elements. I just love it! I chose to quilt it with a mid-tone gray Omni thread after auditioning eight colors and deciding they overwhelmed the pattern. I used my Gammill workstation, with the concentric spiral disk. It is still all hand guided, but with a template and stylus. It was extremely time consuming to do it without overlapping the circles, but well worth the effort. Then, I filled in the empty spaces with freehand swirls, and the border with simple piano keys in a variegated thread. It looks wonderful. Too bad it isn't mine...


Thousands of little matching bits of fabric, all making pretty flower- like wheels

Little birds, flowers, trees, horses...all carefully selected to blend nicely together.



Every hexie group is surrounded with the five pointed stars with smaller hexies for their centers.

King Tut variegated thread in the borders

The back is also pieced with an array of fun fabrics



At 6:00, I started doing the deconstruction of the first of two horse blankets to be made into throws. I broke my favorite seam ripper doing it, so I had to quit until I can get a new one. Rats!

I need a new picker to take off the cord and nylon binding before I can cut and resew this into a usable shape and size.
I thought I would show you how funny Molly was last night at supper time. She tipped the pillow over and sat atop it to get a better view of Mr Wazoo eating his spaghetti. What a little beggar!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment. I enjoy hearing what you think about my blog.